September 25, 2019
SFP+ and SFP
1. The SFP and SFP+ have the same appearance size;
2. SFP protocol specification: IEEE802.3, SFF-8472;
SFP+ and XFP
1. SFP+ and XFP are both 10G fiber modules and can communicate with other types of 10G modules;
2. Because of the smaller size, SFP+ will have signal modulation functions, serial/deserializer, MAC, clock and data recovery (CDR), and electronics.
The dispersion compensation (EDC) function is moved from the module to the motherboard card;
3. XFP compliant protocol: XFP MSA protocol;
4. SFP+ compliant protocols: IEEE 802.3ae, SFF-8431, SFF-8432;
5. SFP+ is a more mainstream design.
1. SFP+ has a more compact form factor (same size as SFP) than X2 and XFP packages;
2, can be directly connected with the same type of XFP, X2, XENPAK;
3. The cost is lower than XFP, X2 and XENPAK products.